Tuesday, July 5, 2011

What a tarte!



On most days I can curb a craving but this day wasn't one of them.
I had three gorgeously green Granny Smiths sitting in my fruit bowl
and I had to find something to do with them.

Instead of just eating them like Husband would do I
found myself cutting butter into flour and soaking the apple slices
in cinnamon and rum simple syrup.

I looked to Smitten Kitchen for inspiration and found this recipe
and I knew my day would immediately improve.

I didn't follow the recipe exactly, although I know it would have been just as heavenly.

These are the little changes I made to make myself feel better:

Dough:

3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon Splenda Sugar Blend
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
4 1/2 tablespoons chilled water

Filling:

3 Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/4 cup dark rum
1 tbsp water
3 tablespoons Splenda Sugar Blend

Glaze:
1/4 cup Apple juice
4 tablespoons Splenda Sugar Blend, reserve 1 tablespoon for sprinkling on top
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

I added butter to the simple syrup I made with rum and cinnamon
and tossed the sliced apples in it until my crust was ready.

Instead of using a pie pan I just made a free form crust
which gave it a more rustic feel (less heartache about cutting into a beautiful pie).

The cooking time escapes me as I usually
eyeball anything baking through the glass door
 and I follow my nose timer... I know it wasn't in the oven for the full 45
minutes since this tart was about 7'' in diameter and filled
 with less apples. Give it about 20 minutes and check on it-
once the sides are golden brown it's ready!

I had the glaze reducing on the oven while the tarte was
baking then I just drizzled it all over the warm
 tarte and sprinkled the remaining
Splenda Sugar blend on the crust.

It was really amazing for an impromptu pie.
The crust was way better than I had expected and to be honest
 I like my version better than a "normal" pie crust.
It was way less sweet and not as flaky
(because I used less butter)
but even better than I could have predicted.

I hope you give this a try
and comment below on how it turned out.
Also, stop by Smitten Kitchen's blog
 to see the other amazing recipes and perhaps you'll get inspired like I did!








No comments:

Post a Comment