Friday, July 15, 2011

Mini Vacation Destination: Elmira, New York (part 1)

Husband and I took a red eye to Elmira to visit with family. Besides hanging out by the pool and grilling, I wanted to do something that I didn't get a chance to do the last time we were in town.

It was something that has always been on my bucket list- "Glass Blowing".

Although I didn't get to actually handle glass in its most beautiful state in my opinion (2300 degrees F) I was able to watch a live demonstration on glass blowing.

The Corning Museum of Glass was a really neat experience. The availability of parking was awesome even in the peak summer months while all the kids are out of school and attending summer camp field trips. Before we even started a self guided tour we were greeted by a gorgeous bright yellow glass sculpture which you can read more about by clicking on the link.


We knew it was going to be a neat thing to do but we didn't realize that all military members (and their family) are given free admission into the museum with valid I.D.! (Kids and teens get in for free everyday, military or not just in case you were wondering).


I was taken aback by how stunning glass can be. The most intricate details and the most abstract objects all made out of the same material. Below are a few pictures of my favorite exhibitions.





The market place below the museum is almost like a wonderland with all the sparkling glass vases, bowls, flowers, and just about anything you can think of out on display for purchase. It was tricky because there are glass objects from all over the world brought in so you have to search for the glass that was made locally.


This is what Husband and I picked out to take back home with us. It is a votive candle holder that was made in Ithaca. It's absolutely gorgeous and I couldn't be happier about the whole experience.



Tell me about something that you got to cross off of your bucket list by commenting below!



No comments:

Post a Comment