Sunday, August 21, 2011

Cheat Meal: Dutch Baby

Alright, so we're getting ready to leave Az and Husband and I decided that it would be a great time to indulge ourselves with foods that we've been craving or that are local culinary staples.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, we are foodies but we're also very health conscious. So that means no trans fats (butter, shortening, etc.), limited sugar intake (usually all sugar substitutes like Splenda, Sweet n Low, etc.) and absolutely no white carbohydrates.

We've been eating this way for close to three years (only about two for me) so it's hard, believe it or not, to order something off the menu without any kind of modifications. Especially when that particular food item is cooked in, drizzled, and accompanied with BUTTER, SYRUP, and POWDERED SUGAR.

Enter the DUTCH BABY.

If you don't know what a Dutch Baby is you can read about it here.

I had no idea what to expect when ordering one of these
but Husband and I both had different expectations so I ended up ordering
an Apple pancake just in case he didn't
want to share his Dutch Baby.

This is what my pancake looked like.


All those darkened edges are actually caramelized apples.
To me, my 'pancake' was a Dutch Baby filled with
really sweet baked apples and brown sugar caramel.

Now- trust me when I say this... I LOVE sweets. I do. I'm addicted
to cakes, cupcakes, ice cream, sweet breads,
pastries, pies, etc.

But I haven't eaten anything so decadent in years and this was serious
sugar OVERLOAD to the point where it
was almost not enjoyable.

Sad to say but Husband is not a sweets lover so he
took maybe two bites of his Dutch Baby and tapped out.
He didn't like how sweet it was, he was not a fan of the texture
(although many people describe this pancake as being
light and airy, they forgot to mention that
the air escapes the minute it is pulled out of the oven
and it ends up having a very dense eggy texture).

Imagine a plate of sweetened scrambled eggs
topped with whipped butter, powdered sugar, and lemon...
with a side of syrup.

 
I gave a sliver of mine to Husband and I swear he almost
threw up right at the table. Poor guy.

So I guess the lesson here is that
too much of a sweet thing can turn sour.

We're not regretful of the experience however.
At least we tried something new and interesting
at a really awesome place.

The service was fantastic and the history of the restaurant
was impressive. You can read about
the Original Pancake House by checking out
their website.

Tell me about an experience that you've had that didn't turn out as awesome as you'd hope
by commenting below.

No comments:

Post a Comment