Sunday, November 20, 2011

Results from week 3: "Time to nut up or shut up!"


My goal for these weekly challenges is to push myself and to increase the intensity to promote more meaningful workouts on a regular basis. I felt like I got stuck in a workout rut and even though I felt like I was pushing as hard as I could at the moment I wanted to force myself to get uncomfortable. I wanted outside of the mindset that I was pushing as hard as I could and go beyond my breaking point. The outcome three quarters of the way through is eye opening and exactly what I not necessarily 'wanted' to see but NEEDED to see. I'm not as strong as I think I am. I haven't been pushing as hard as I thought I was. I needed this challenge to be able to reevaluate my fitness level and I'm shocked at the reality of where I truly stand. 

This past week's focus was on cardio. I'm not afraid of cardio I'm just no good at it. Then I'm faced with a double edged sword and to some people that might sound like excuses but I encourage you to not see it that way.

The difficulties I was faced with during cardio week was very depressing to say the least. For starters I'm still sick with a cold that I just cannot get rid of. (This is the first time in a long time that I'm using nothing but food and vitamins to battle an illness- it's part of my all natural life movement which we'll talk about later). Secondly, I injured my knee some time ago and I've been able to get away with doing certain exercises that don't exacerbate the pain, all of which include the exercises most effective for cardio. Third, we have friends coming into town real soon and since we just moved into this house we have so much to do and clean in order to allow a comfortable stay for them, in short that means I'm ridiculously busy and nearly running on fumes by the time I get to workout. Again, these might all sound like excuses but I just want to be able to explain myself before I post my results for this week.

I want you to know that I tried and I literally pushed as hard as I could until I felt for sure that I'd end up hurting myself if I didn't take it down a notch. I was able to complete majority of the workouts but I'm just disappointed in the scores. 

*3 sets of 8 rounds = 12 minutes.

Day 14: Interval Cardio part 1:  Knee highs with jump rope. 40, 44, 35, 27, 38, 30, 14, 18 Seated pull ups. 8, 7, 6, 7, 9, 7, 6, 3 Repeat first exercise for last set. 45, 48, 42, 40, 52, 54, 49, 40

Day 15: Interval Cardio part 2:  Mountain Climbers. 40, 40, 35, 27, 38, 30, 14, 18 Star crunches. 20, 20, 19, 19, 25, 23, 17, 14 Repeat first exercise for last set. 41, 28, 15, 22, 41, 38, 20, 29

Day 16: IC Part 3: 20 on/10 off X 8 rds: Burpees. 4, 4, 4, 3, 4, 3, 3, 2 Prisoner get up. 4, 4, 4, 3, 5, 4, 3, 5 Knee highs w/rope* 53, 50, 47, 47, 45, 40, 43, 47

Day 17: IC Part 4: 20 on/10 off X 8 rds: Big jump forward, two jumps back. One leg lift and toe touch. Repeat first exercise for last set. 
*This day I relapsed and felt super terrible. I only managed to do 2 rounds before I felt like I was going to vomit… Husband was not happy about this. 
1 jump forward, 2 jumps back 5, 4
1 leg lift and toe touch 11, 11, 9, 10, 8, 11, 9, 8
Commando push up and sit up combo 11, 8, 7, 6
Alternating Side v-crunches 16, 14, 10, 9

Day 18: IC Part 5: One leg hop forward (left) one leg hop back (right)/ one leg hop forward (right), one leg hop forward (left). Confused? Click here. Full body rows and kick up. Repeat first exercise for last set. 
*As I mentioned above I injured my knee and after trying the one leg hop a couple times my right knee just couldn't handle it so I modified the exercise.
Side to side pike jumps: 27, 16, 14, 22, 26, 22, 23, 21
Full body rows: 8, 8, 3, 6, 8, 6, 5, 3
Repeat first exercise for last set: 25, 22, 17, 17, 26, 22, 15, 20

Day 19: IC Part 6: Surfer. From standing position drop down on your belly, power up making sure to land with your toes pointing to the left, jump up. Drop down on your belly, power up to the right and jump up. Round kick and knee raises. Repeat first exercise for last set. 
*No workout on this day. Absolutely zero energy by the time Husband and I got home from running errands… I was really upset that I didn't get to workout but that's just the breaks. 

Day 20: Active Rest day! 

Week three has been a serious disaster in my opinion. I just think it's funny that all kinds of issues arise in regards to my workouts the one time I decide to post it. =) 
Anyway, be on the look out for next week's schedule. 

No comments:

Post a Comment