Sunday, December 18, 2011

Rock and Roll

It's mid December 
and I'm in a full on obsession with constant baking...
from scratch. 
I was asked to make simple rice crispy treats 
(which was clearly a joke, right?)
and I just couldn't bare the thought of doing that 
without making my own marshmallows 
and popping my own rice... er however you get puffed rice cereal.
So needless to say I did NOT end up doing that. 

Instead I decided to make something a little more "me" and
 something that I've never made before (at least not successfully or from scratch). 

Enter the pumpkin roll. =)

I love pumpkin, the taste, the smell, the endless culinary possibilities. 
This recipe was a definite go and I hope you enjoy it.

For the pumpkin cake:
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2/3 cup pumpkin puree (or canned pumpkin)
  • 1 cup pecans, chopped 
  • PREHEAT oven to 375° F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with parchment paper. Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.

    COMBINE the next 6 ingredients (flour-salt)  in small bowl and set aside. Beat eggs and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with nuts.

    BAKE for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. (If using a dark-colored pan, begin checking for doneness at 11 minutes.) Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack, 3-4 hours.
For the swiss meringue buttercream:
  • 4 oz. room temp egg whites (3 large eggs)
  • 8 oz. (1 cup) granulated sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 12 oz (1 1/2 cup) room temp, unsalted butter, cubed
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • Instead of explaining the whole process to making this awesome buttercream, I've embedded a video for you to watch- she explains it very well and I didn't encounter any problems when I did it myself. 
When your cake is completely cool, slowly and carefully unroll and fill with the buttercream and roll up again without the towel =) The recipe makes about 2 cups of buttercream and you can use all two cups if that's what you're into but I would suggest using no more than 1 to 1 1/4 cups to get a nice even layer and a perfect cake to filling ratio. You can then sprinkle with powdered sugar and/or a dusting of cocoa powder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment