Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Adaptation of Zuzka's Power Balls

~Carrot Cake cookies~

So after the holidays and after all the sweet treats I made (but couldn't eat) I felt the need to refocus on my dietary needs without sacrificing my culinary stand point, which if you didn't know by this point is basically all about sweets! It's a tough gig and very tiresome but with the help of my favorite BodyRocker (and co-founder of the movement, Zuzana) I was able to satisfy my sweet tooth while sticking to my healthy eating lifestyle.

I made a batch of these cookies (although her version is called power balls) the other day and Husband absolutely adores them. You still have to keep moderation in mind but if you do happen to go overboard you're really not filling yourself with trash. 

Here's what you need:
1 cup of instant oatmeal, powdered
1 1/2 cup of almond meal*
2 heaping tbsp of honey
3 tbsp of coconut oil
1/4 cup of shredded coconut (unsweetened preferred)
1 cup of steamed baby carrots, mashed or pureed
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (I used ON HydroWhey)
1 tsp baking powder

*For almond meal you just use a food processor to grind the almonds until there are no large chunks. Use this same technique for the oatmeal to get oatmeal powder. I've used both store bought almond meal and the almond meal I make myself and I prefer the texture of the homemade almond meal. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
In a medium bowl mix together oatmeal powder, almond meal, vanilla protein powder, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice. Add mashed carrots, honey, coconut oil and vanilla extract until well incorporated then stir in shredded coconut. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes. Let cool 10-15 minutes before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment