Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year's Eve in Venice


If you've never been to Venice let me just say that it is like a fairytale. Every single building, bridge or boat you happen to look at is immediately and always a postcard waiting to happen. It doesn't matter if you're a terrible photographer using a flip phone camera, that picture will turn out BEAUTIFUL regardless. Husband and I had the ultimate pleasure of visiting Venice during my favorite time of year (winter) with two of our best friends who flew in exclusively to celebrate New Year's with us. 


Our journey started off very creepily. It was about 4 in the evening on New Year's Eve and a ridiculously heavy fog rolled in surrounding the bridge from mainland Italy to the island. So we could only see the road in front of us and nothing else. It was almost symbolic- like we didn't know what we were getting ourselves into. Just the idea of partying in Venice on this particular night was something that was hard for me to imagine. I hoped it would be fun and memorable but I just didn't realize how amazing of a time we would all have. 

Finally after tackling the hellacious situation that is parking within walking distance of Venice we immediately tried to get ourselves lost which is way easier than we thought and totally worth it. We stumbled across the restaurant that Zuzana and Freddy featured in one of their videos on Bodyrock.tv- I was rather tempted to do a burpee for them but I ended up not doing that (cold, rainy, and super high traffic made a burpee shout out impossible). There were so many awesome little streets within streets that led to the best spots for pictures. There were many little cafes and gelato shops sprinkled all over the place not to mention restaurants and souvenir shops. One of the coolest things I got to see that night was this awesome mask shop. They make and design all these gorgeous masks by hand which we're all about (supporting local businesses) so I decided that I'll go ahead and treat myself to a mask, but I couldn't decide which one I wanted and by the time Husband started losing focus, I had four masks in my hands! Since I couldn't take them all home, I decided I didn't want any. Call me a drama queen, I don't care. It's all or nothing with me! 






Three pit stops later and full bellies we started to make our way to Piazza San Marco where the main event takes place. When we arrived there had to have been 10,000 people there! For as far as my eyes could see in every direction there were people singing and dancing and having a blast of a time. 

I've included several photos below for you to take a peak at. We took so many pictures that my 'favorites' list pretty much consisted of 96% of the photos anyway.










I hope you enjoy them and leave a comment below telling me what you did for your NYE celebration.



No comments:

Post a Comment