Saturday, June 30, 2012

VA Va Verona!

I must admit that living in Italy is still one of the coolest things I get to experience. Today, I hopped on Google maps and took my pick at a spot to visit for the day. Our choice: Verona.

I'm no history buff... as a matter of fact the only memories of my history class in school are:
1.) World History (Ettl) Sophomore year; got the nickname "Frankie" because there were 6 other kids with names that start with "Chris".
2.) First class I ever skipped with my then boyfriend, now husband.
3.) Learned the meaning of risk vs. reward. I will not get into that here.
4.) Got to dress up as a nun for a presentation that I didn't prepare for (due to the lack of attendance) and was pretty evident that I was the beacon for irony.

I digress...


We were talking about Verona. Ok- so all throughout high school we talked about European history and geography and the really influential societies that helped mold our modern day culture. Obviously, Romeo and Juliet came up a time or two during my stint in high school but I'm a kid of the 90's so all I see is Leo and Claire when I think of the world's most depressing love story.

Driving just two hours west I for some reason thought I was on my way to see young Leo and Ms. Danes in her angel wings... sigh. But what my eyes settled upon was rather magical all on its own. If you can see past the thousands of tourists and the blindingly colorful food menus, you'll be able to see that Verona has a lot of really romantic charm.

Yes, we saw Juliette's balcony. But it's not really her balcony and I knew that going in, but it's just one of those bucket list things so check check and check on that.

Husband and I get sorta side tracked when we're surround by people, something to do with our low tolerance to inconvenience and crowds. So, we attempted for about two seconds to find Juliette's tomb and/or Leo Romeo's house but ended up instead at the market eating fresh fruit in a cup.



Anyway, all in all it was a great trip. If I were somewhat at all into history or even a smidgen motivated to have read something, anything, about Verona I think I would have basked in the glory a bit more. But what I did see I'm happy with. =)












No comments:

Post a Comment