Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Murph 2013

One of the coolest things about not having a typical full time job for me is that I get to catch up on all the things I've pushed aside for years. Almost three years ago I decided to make a change in my life.

I was invited to a Christmas party on short notice and the night of the party I tore apart my closet searching for something to wear. Each and every item of clothing I picked out didn't fit. Everything was busting at the seams. I managed to pull out the largest pair of slacks which was given to me by my mom who was a good two pant sizes larger than me and I threw on an old turtleneck that lost all it's elasticity and walked out the door with a feeling of utter disgust.

All night, I sat in a corner and didn't want to talk to anyone because of how shitty I felt about myself. So naturally, I drowned my sorrows in mashed potatoes covered with gravy and Christmas ham. I had a piece of terrible grocery store cake and a cup of fancy chocolate filled coffee. And wondered to myself "when the hell did I get so fat?"

A week later I was tinkering around on Facebook and a friend from high school posted a YouTube video of some hot girl doing a workout. Honestly, I had no interest in what the workout was- I just wanted to see and hear this beautiful European girl speak.

She lit a fire under my ass. I remember sitting there being one hundred percent captivated by what she was doing with her body. She was doing push ups and squats and skipping with a weighted rope. It was incredible. At that very moment, I put my Venti Pumpkin Spice latte aside and attempted a squat. It hurt going down and was nearly impossible trying to get back up. It was pathetic but after the whole Christmas party debacle I was determined to make a change. I couldn't allow myself to get any bigger and I wouldn't allow myself to ignore the poor state of health I was in.

Fast forward to today and I just completed my first Memorial Day Murph workout. The workout is dedicated to Michael P. Murphy who was killed in 2005 in Afghanistan. His favorite workout was to run a mile, 100 pull ups, 200 push ups, 300 squats, another mile run all while wearing body armor. I did modify the workout to fit my fitness level (no plates while running, assisted pull ups, body weight only push ups.)

After my 300th squat with a 20 kilo sandbag, I stood up with pride, took a swig of water and ran my final mile. I've definitely come a loooooong ways from the sad little fat girl at that Christmas party eating buckets of mashed potatoes and gravy. And I'm so thrilled to find out how many more changes I can accomplish in the years to come.

Murph,
In my small little way of attempting to honor you for your ultimate sacrifice, I give you my sweat, blood, and tears today.

1 comment:

  1. I know the feeling (of feeling disgusting from not having anything that fits). I've gained so much weight since HS (if it wasn't obvious from photos!). I seriously don't how I got here (I mean, I do, but omg...). Anyways, I have very recently decided I need to get "healthy" again and lose weight. To feel happy, confident, healthy. It's so hard though. Seriously. Anyways, good for you, Cris!!!! Good job...you look great!

    ReplyDelete