Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Princess and her coffee


I am spontaneous. It's one of the best perks about not having kids and not having a legitimate 9 to 5. So, I go places. I usually try to have an idea of something cool to see before I head out. But, I've found that planning something 'fun' never really turns out to be that much fun. Like, planning to see the Statue of David in Florence... sounds cool- went, saw it, and was bored in like 5 minutes. So choosing to see very specific things has become a thing of the past for me.


These days, I go for more vague sights. Ocean. Mountain. Church, etc.

A couple of weeks ago, I wanted to see a castle. No special one in particular. I just wanted to see something castle-like so I do what I always do when the mood strikes for an adventure. I loaded my iPod with random songs from my epic library, got in my car and just drove.

I ended up in Conegliano, after a couple hours of driving around. I was on my way to a well known castle when I happened to spot a castle-like structure far off on a little hill top. I moseyed around this little town to find a way up. And after some really dodgey one way roads small enough to be a two lane bicycle path, I found what I was looking for.


I honestly have no idea what I stumbled upon. This place was deserted. The only other human was a quiet lady who popped her head out of a doorway as I shuffled across the pebbles in my stiletto boots, making the loudest sounds on earth... Turns out it was a sweet little cafe. YES!

Castles and coffee. Crystal happy. =)

Basically, there wasn't much to it. Courtyard, a couple wells, old building that looks important with flags and what not. But the view was incredible. The weather also made it quite lovely. So, I sat and chatted with the nice lady for a while...


Then the Australians happened. I don't know why I try to keep a low profile around other English speakers, but I just prefer to do so. This whole time the cafe owner and I were talking completely in Italian and then the foursome of Aussies show up and they say hi but don't really push a conversation because I guess my Italian disguise was decent enough to convince them that I'm not American. Anyway, we're all sitting outside enjoying the day and then my water bottle cap falls to the ground, under my table into a weird crack in the deck. I swear, under my breath almost silent, I let out an irritated "Jesus" because there was no way I would be able to pick that cap up like a lady. All four dudes turn around and scream "AYE!" Shit. My cover was blown- they know I speak English and then it was like we were old friends that haven't seen each other in decades.

Here's the thing, since they had such a thick accent, something in my brain tells me that I too must have an accent. So, I apparently went English. Like Brittish/English. *Sigh... I don't know what the hell is wrong with me sometimes. I ended up consuming 3 more macchiatoni and 2 liters of water over a couple hours before we went our separate ways. This was my only experience with Australians but for 3pm, they were rather wild. Which is saying a lot given my tolerance for 'wild.' Anyway, it's good to know that if I ever make it Down Unda- I'll have friends to kick it with. Thank you English language for uniting strangers.

Here are pictures.













No comments:

Post a Comment