Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Music is a way of giving what you feel inside to another person.

 As I sit here on my patio with my third morning cup of coffee, 3 Libras by A Perfect Circle is currently playing and I am surprisingly content in this very moment. Last night, for the 900th time, I watched Blood into Wine. It's a documentary about Eric Glomski and Maynard Keenan's pursuit of growing grapes in the high desert of northern Arizona. I'm not a wine maker, and you can barely even call me a wine drinker. My motive behind watching this movie over and over again is simply because of how inspirational it is. To me, it's a legit feel good kind of movie.
     My life can become stagnant even amidst the constant exploring of this great country. Even in travel itself, there is always a routine. When I feel like it's time for a refreshing boost of creative energy, the first thing I turn to is music. New music, old music, movies about music, and even the act of making music. Blood into Wine does that for me. It's that encouraging kick in the ass that says "You know what girl, you got this."
One of my very first high priority tasks on my hobby bucket list was the learn how to play the piano. It was something I have always wanted to do and envied about those who it came naturally to. Playing any kind of instrument does not come naturally to me whatsoever. I'm a rather logical thinker so the understanding and reading sheet music was easy enough to grasp, but hearing something and replicating it on the ivory keys is still a challenge. Jimi Hendrix didn't know how to read music but he was born with that gifted ear and he made incredible sounds with his strat. I hope to get to that point one day with my playing. To feel it and just play...
     I guess I haven't noticed this before because music has always been a constant in this house as the sky is blue, but Husband and I are very musical people. He also found a great sense of peace with it and it calms him down the same way it does for me. Listening to great music is one of our favorite shared past times. But even more so, the ability to turn sounds into a melodic and magical thing is something that we both love and love to share with each other. 

     I'm a bit more reserved than Husband is when it comes to playing in front of an audience. Personally, I play just for me. I play because it is a self soothing behavior of mine. I hardly ever play when anyone besides Husband is here, and even then I'm a little reluctant. He still gives me butterflies after all...

     One of the greatest feelings for me, and one that I anxiously await today, is to be able to sit comfortably in a corner of my house and just listen to Husband play. I absolutely adore having my house filled with the sweet sounds of his strumming guitar. I catch myself grinning from ear to ear, with my eyes closed and just basking in this indescribable feeling of pure romance.

   Music is transformative, transcending, soul satisfying. It has the power to thrust me into an alternate state of consciousness. One that is so real, so vivid... I look to certain songs as a pacifier, a security blanket. I depend on it like a drug.

No comments:

Post a Comment