Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Oh October, how I love thee so.

So today is the first day of my favorite month and what a beautiful day it has been already. For one, it's sunny but in the mid 50s. The somewhat ever grown grass in my yard is sparkling with dew and the trees are glistening with the remnants of rain drops from this early morning's fall drizzle. The house is quiet, as it usually is when Husband is away, and all my animal children are snuggled in their beds still. Except my pup, she's sitting right here beside me enjoying the chirping birds as I sip on a giant cup of Illy coffee and type away.

In just under two weeks Husband will be celebrating another birthday in a far away place. This hurts my heart but after many birthdays spent apart, it's something that we've grown accustomed to, learned to adapt from. Without question, we will celebrate when he returns.

When October finally arrives, my heart swells with love and appreciation for nature. It's a magical time. Changes happen so rapidly during this time of year and I find myself outside more. From little things like taking longer walks wearing mittens and a peacoat and trampling on the crisp golden leaves that line my driveway; to the imminent festive celebrations that will bring 2013 to an end. I absolutely love fall.

I find myself baking a lot during this time of year. For a couple who moves around a lot, the tradition of baking Grandma Blanche's nutty chocolate shortbread cookie bars while enjoying the genius compositions of Mannheim Steamrollers is something that makes wherever we are feel like home. We laugh a lot during fall. I am happiest during the fall. This year, I'm excited to take my homemade marshmallows to a very artisanal level. I'm thinking instead of the usual modest squares I produce, this year they will be absurdly large and dipped in fine chocolate, and probably rolled in fancy things like roasted pistachios. Maybe, just maybe, I might be able to figure out a way to stuff my marshmallows with a rum caramel this year. Fingers crossed. Can you imagine the mouthgasm of a slow melting rum caramel filled marshmallow in a giant cup of Irish Coffee? My goodness, how divine!

This year, Husband and I are opening our house to the annual Halloween party. We have big plans to turn this farmhouse into a haunted mansion. We've never done anything like this before so I'm a bit skeptical on how it will turn out. To be honest, I think what will end up happening is a couple of poorly executed jack o lanterns, a slew of pumpkin cupcakes, and maybe some decent costumes. One thing is for sure, we will have a very impressive selection of fine booze and an endless supply of Husband's killer gluewine to keep our guests dancing to what I assume will be a night filled with lots of NIN and a sprinkling of Rammstein.

Before I close out today's post, I just want to let you know that blogging isn't as easy as I thought it would be. I think for me, what I lack is consistency. Something I've been working on all summer. Finding the proper content to post is what I have the most difficulty with. But, in doing some research I've learned that just being consistent and persistent with posting should help. This month, I'm attempting to post on a daily basis. What most rookie bloggers, like myself, fail to understand is that this is a personal thing. Trying to figure out what the readers want to hear is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. It's about putting YOURSELF out there and letting the readers come to you. If I keep searching for things that you want to read about instead of focusing on what I want to talk about, we'll have no more posts on this here blog. I don't know what YOU want to read about so I'll just write about what I find interesting. And in that, perhaps you'll find it interesting too. Some of my favorite bloggers open my eyes to things I never even thought to explore. So, I'm going to try that approach this month.

Until tomorrow- I hope you have a wonderful first day of October.

Much Love,
CrisM

1 comment: