Saturday, October 5, 2013

Yes Chef! Right away Chef! The kitchen is my happy place.


I love to be in the kitchen.
Whether it's cooking, baking, or eating- I love it all.
My hope is that one day I'll be able to go to culinary school and finally turn this passion of food into a soul satisfying career.
I have had the opportunity to do that on a small scale with the little baking adventure I'm currently on. And with every cake I bake, my enthusiasm in the kitchen amplifies.

Recently, I was able to sneak into a friend's kitchen and help him make one of his best selling deserts. Semifreddo with a caramelized walnuts and roasted pistachios!


I tend to make friends in the culinary field probably because when I find a place I enjoy eating at, I become a frequent visitor. So much so, that it's not unusual for me to walk into a restaurant and within minutes of being seated my order has already been placed for me. Don't get me wrong, I definitely bounce all over a menu and try as much as I can within reason (there are a few things I absolutely will not eat: veal, pork, and anything fried) but overall I'm pretty consistent.

While I lived in America, I wasn't as privileged as I am here. In Italy, the restaurants are usually manned by the owners and their families. There is a great sense of pride in operating a restaurant and you can definitely tell by their attention to detail. Be it the atmosphere, the food preparation and plating, or fabulous customer care. I can truly say that I've never encountered poor customer service ANYWHERE in Italy thus far.


Hanging with Mario and getting to do all the prep work for his best selling desert was very cool. He's a very focused chef who runs a well oiled kitchen. We were cooking the sugar down for the walnuts, and I realized we were too tense. Working with sugar is a serious thing- something we laughed about because we both had the most serious faces on. We both have war stories about sugar disasters. I had to do something to lighten the mood- enhance the experience. Apparently, listening to girly pop music and dancing around an industrial kitchen is a new thing for him so he just laughed and I'm sure he called me a "werido" in Romanian several times. But no matter, we had a great time and I can't wait to do it again!









No comments:

Post a Comment