Sunday, March 15, 2015

My identity as a culinary artist

My name is CrisM and I'm a culinary artist.

I am also a young professional, a best friend, a sister, a daughter, a pet parent, a confidant, a music lover, a fast driver, a shooter, a part time boozer, and a rock star snoozer.

What does any of that actually mean? Probably nothing- as they are just titles describing pieces of who I am as a whole. Parts of myself that, together in various ratios depending on my moods, project how I- Crystal Miller, am seen by the world.

I always tend to downplay my role in "the bigger picture" because although I am passionate beyond belief about what it is I do for a living, I understand my place in this world. I understand that yes, with any job, big or small, high speed or low stress, there are always going to be those ups and downs... the good days and bad.

My identity as a culinary artist is constantly challenged because of the kind of work I do versus the kind of life I choose to live. Unfortunately, at this juncture in my life, I'm unable to find a way to harmoniously combine the two.

About 4 years ago I decided that I didn't want to live an unhealthy lifestyle anymore. That meant more to me in the kitchen than it did regarding the physical aspects of daily life. Truly active people tend to say that "abs are made in the kitchen" which I've learned is an undeniably true statement. Yes, you still have to put in hard work at the gym but it wasn't until after I started eating properly when I discovered how true that statement is.

I'm a chef by trade and many of my clients choose to use me in a way that brings quality, lavish, high end dining to the comfort of their own homes. So, I'm constantly playing with cream, and cheese, and fatty proteins. All awesome in their own right, but I personally, have such a hard time when it comes to tasting the products I produce.

I can't quite remember which celebrity chef said "Never trust a skinny chef..." (please don't be a Julia Child quote) but I think that is complete garbage! I can (and do) cook really insanely delicious food, that are decadent and really can be the guiltiest of all the pleasures. But, I CAN'T eat any of it... More importantly, I don't WANT to eat any of it.

The struggle for me to find my voice as a culinary artist is constant and I am more comfortable in the kitchen when there are amazing fresh produce and lean proteins scattered all over the place. I enjoy the process of taking these raw items and making something come together in a delicious AND nutritious way. As I continue on my journey, I hope to find the balance I've been seeking. I hope to find like minded thinkers, believers, go-getters, and down right culinary savages to join me so that I can learn and explore all the wonders of this world through the incredible food we have at our fingertips.


No comments:

Post a Comment